2/24/2009

Picturing America and Silver in the Virtual Field Trip

There is a virtual field trip that you can take to go see how a silver mine works. I will link it to my post later. There are interesting stuff in the virtual field trip and here are some things that I will tell you about. Did you know that back then miners had to use candle lights to see in the dark?Wouldn't that be hard for you? I know that would be hard for me. Did you also know that miners used sledge hammers and they had to use dynamites to blow up the rocks that they did not use?That's what I learned just in stop 2. And in stop 5 they showed a change room. The change was for the miners to change clothes. They changed clothes because they would come to work in their everyday clothes. So when they came to work they had to change their clothes into mining clothes. When their shift was done their mining clothes would be wet, but they would put their mining clothes by the fire and when they came the next day their mining clothes would be dry.That's why they had change rooms. In stop 12 I found out how the mill was powered. Do you know how it was powered? It was powered by water. That's so cool! If you want to go see it for yourself, here it is.

1 comment: